Sunday 26 February 2012

NEWS FROM ITALY

25th February 2012

Patrick has made a trip to Italy since my last blog in order to get spares.  Apparently he does this every so often, I can't imagine why unless he is collecting large quantities of large parts.  Maude had added a number of bits that I had asked for but they didn't have in stock.  The most important part I needed was a replacement kick start shaft to replace the one issued that was not correct.  Patrick had said he would sort one out during his trip and he would collect an M5 left handed screw for my rear wheel.  From what he had said this would be a simple matter.

Patrick phoned me on Saturday to say that he had returned from Italy but had been unable to get a different shaft and he now thought they only produced one type.  Why is this so difficult?  I don't think Patrick believes me when I say the shaft will not fit.  He is suggesting that I send him the kick start assembly and he will investigate.  I have little alternative but to parcel the bits and let him come to his own conclusions.  I know something has to move for the new shaft to work.  Apart from making a new shaft I guess you could re-cut the cir clip slot and drill a new hole for the return spring casting (if all else fails this would be my preferred solution).  I have no right to feel upset that Patrick can't supply the bits but he sounds so confident when he talks you get lulled into a sense of false security.  I will try to get the bits posted tomorrow.  I will carefully record what I send him after the M5 screw experience.

With regard to the M5 screw, Patrick tells me that is no longer made as it was no longer fitted. I get the feeling that he thinks I'm making a fuss about nothing but I'm really annoyed at his casual attitude and the fact that he lost the part.  I don't see Patrick ever finding my screw so I will have to start enquirers else where.

I have actually started looking at other suppliers for bits in the hope they are a little more professional.  Tim (the black spanner man) put me onto K & S Scooters who had been very helpful to him. http://kandsscooters.co.uk/index.html 
I have ordered from him a pair of handlebar grips a couple of  leaver bolts and a steering lock with keys.  He has said he will try to find me an M5 left handed screw.  That bill comes to £80, why do I do it?  I know why,  I come too far to back out now and I have to get it running at all costs.

So there you have it , the news from Italy is not good.  I'm now waiting for Maude to send me an invoice for the bits they can supply and then I can limp forward again.

1 comment:

  1. Rex,
    try http://www.casalambrettauk.com. I have had great luck with them and the price is FIXED, they are great nothing is to much trouble.
    good luck
    Billy
    p.s. I am going to MOT in two weeks, fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete