Thursday 12 April 2012

HANDLE BAR CONTROLS

The arrival of the brake/clutch leaver bolts inspired me to have a look at trying to sort out the conrtrols for the handle bars.  

K & S had been unable to supply me with the fixing bolts which clamp the two controls to the bars.  I had one of the originals (far right) and therefore could see what was needed.  I have given up the idea of being a purist during my restoration, I'm thinking more "inovator".  Relaxed by this revelation I was able to make a couple of bolts from some standard ones I had availableThe "cross head" is not correct but I'm sure Lambretta would have used them if they had been available.

The break/clutch leaver bolts are more sophisticated.  They provide the bearing surface for the leavers and their length is such as to prevent mounting casting being overtightened such that the leaver is pinched between the sides.  I notice that the slots in the bolt and the nut are very narrow.  To prevent damaging the slot I will need to use a wide bladed screwdriver.  My wide bladed drivers have much wider blades that will not fit.  I think I will have to either grind an existing blade or make a special one.  They need to be tight as i don't want them falling out whilst riding.










This is the right hand unit showing the showing the two bolts in position.  I think the cross head bolt looks OK and it appears to fit nicely into the counter sunk hole in the casting


Now I can concentrate on sorting the cables and fitting them to the handle bar controls.  I fancy the brakes first as they should be simplest.











Whilst starting to sort out the cable runs I notice that the two cables that drive the gear change mechanism don't have any ends on them.  The handle bar end has nipples but the other end is just a cable.  I certainly don't have ends and will now have to find if they are available or if I will have to make them.  Since I don't know what they look like this could be a problem.  The parts list identifies what I think I need as items 12,13 and 14.  They seem to work by clamping a disc onto the cable and holding it there with a grub screw.  At least I now have the confidence to see if I can buy the parts or at the worst make something.

No comments:

Post a Comment