Friday 25 January 2013

LETS GET THIS KICK START KICKED INTO TOUCH

Its been such a long time since I have sat down to record any progress I have lost track of where I have got to.  I have been doing little bits on and off over the last seven months.

I have now finished the kick start epic.  I did take the unit apart after I received it back from Patrick.
 

 
The original shaft compared with the shaft first supplied.
The lengths are the same but the pin hole and the circlip groove are nearer the outer end











This is the new shaft as received back from Patrick.  Everything lines up but the arm will still not fit.









With the new shaft fitted into the casting and the arm pushed as far as possible onto the shaft the arm clamp bolt would still not line up with the groove in the shaft.

The fact that Patrick had said he had fitted an arm in his workshop without any problem gave me cause for concern. Why didn't my arm fit?  My scooter had arrived with an arm fitted so the original set up worked fine.  I was now fitting a like for like shaft so the arm should fit.  My conclusion is that this arm is not my original arm (I have to say I don't remember it being in such good condition).







The only option was to reduce the width of the arm on the inside face.
I measured both the arm and the shaft and conclude that I needed to remove approximately 2.0 mm from the inside face of the arm.




 



Using the old shaft for support and my trusty file I set to work.











 That left just the "O" ring problem.  Scootopia at Weston-Super-Mear were able to supply a suitable "O" ring, it took two attempts but their service was by return.




At first the replacement "O" ring looked too large and was quite loose in the slot in the casting. When I came to fit the kick start unit into the engine it appeared to be OK.  I actually removed the unit to check the "O" rings had not been damaged.

The original ring is the one on the right complete with the damaged section which had been overlooked previously. Time will tell if all is well.








To make the reassembly of the return spring to the shaft a little simpler I made a tool.


This allowed the tension to be applied whilst inserting the retaining pin without loosing a finger.






















                  The End

                          ( I hope )

No comments:

Post a Comment