Sunday 15 August 2010

MISSING PARTS

I've just spent what seems like days trying to get my spreadsheet showing the cost of the parts that are needed to complete the scooter.  Of course it's  not complete, things can only get worse.  I started in Excel because I had used it before and so thought it would save timeHaving set up the sheet I filled in what I knew and even produced column totals I was now ready to my blog.  Some hope.  At first I just copied the relevant area and pasted it into the new blog.  Great the sheet appeared and made sense.  Then I noticed a little prompt in red at the bottom of the table saying something to the effect "file not saved due to formatting errors".  I then tried inserting an image via the tool bar having first placed a copy on the desktopSomething about not being compatible.

To save you having to read a blow by blow account of the last two days I will summarise.  I tried Blogger help but quickly gave it up once I found a proposed solution involving entering code.  Why cant Google realise that there is a need to include spreadsheets.  I then looked at Gmail Documents.  Tim had told me previously I should use Google but I didn't want to learn a new system.  OK so he was right. It appears that if I copy the address from my Gmail Spreadsheet and past it into the Blogger Link it works.  When I say works it shows the spreadsheet if you click on the appropriate words - "Missing Parts".  What I don't know is if it is secure i.e. followers can't modify the data.  I think I have set it to view only in Gmail I will have to wait for feedback.  Another  thought, do you have to  have a Gmail account to access the data?


You might ask why do I want to do this?  I think it's important to record just how much this rebuild is costing.  I think it will show that it is best to buy a complete scooter rather than one only part complete as I have.  That way you only have to replace what's necessary and I still don't know if I can get all the missing bits.


Missing Parts  click here to see the spreadsheet

No comments:

Post a Comment