Wednesday 4 August 2010

TAKING A STAND

After my trip to Scooter Surgery I have started thinking about removing the existing engine from the frame.  I will need to release the tension in the torsion bar which provides the suspension for the engine unit.  This will involve some force and I quickly realised that the existing scooter stand didn't provide a really good working base.  What I needed was a working stand.

Looking at what was available I found the ideal material, a length of 50mm x 50mm box section tube.  I just needed to make up a base and attach something to pick up the stand mounting point on the frame, easy.  I took the measurements from the frame where the stand fits and set to work.  Things went well and I enjoyed the cutting and welding, but I can never understand why any critical welds always turn out to look the worst.  Just as I'm finishing the job my welding picks up and they look like real welds, still one thing for sure, it won't fall to bits.

In order to remove the stand I had to lift the rear wheel higher off the table.  This meant that the only thing keeping the scooter upright was the clamp on the front wheel, need for caution I realised.  Using a trolley jack and lots of packing all went well but I have to admit that I was relieved to see the scooter still standing the next morning.  I forgot to mention that I hadn't removed the stand when I took my dimensions for the mounting bracket. These were taken form what I could see and what I thought was the situation.  Bad move. The removal of the stand itself was easy but it was then that I discovered that there were spacers fitted between the frame and the stand itself.  My mounting bracket was too narrow - great!  

The only solution was to cut it off and make a new one.  A good moment to see just what my weld were like.  I have to say I was pleased with them and they confirmed my earlier feelings.  This time I made and fitted the bracket to the scooter before welding it to the base so I knew it would fit.  It was a good job because I had overlooked the mount for the kick stand return spring.  A bit of "relief" to make the bracket fit and it was ready to weld to the base.  

I was so pleased (relieved) that it worked I decided to guild the lily and fit three feet to the base.  I had two feet in the garage but had to pinch the third from June's working table upstairs, so far she hasn't noticed.  I love drilling 32mm diameter holes in 3mm steel.  I think I must be hooked on the smell of burning oil and smoke.  After a quick fitting I was ready to give it a coat of paint just to tidy things up and to mask some of my poorer welds.


With the working stand fitted and the jack removed I was pleased to find that the whole assembly was much more stable.  I now wont have to keep thinking about the possibility of the lot ending up on the floor, not a good thought.  

If your wondering what the bolt at the end of the leg is for, it's an accident.  The threaded hole was already there in the tube.  I left it as it might provide a tie down point if I need it.



 Now to investigate how to remove the engine unit.

1 comment:

  1. "guilding the Lily" should be title of this project.. in fact all your projects! fancy even painting a temporary bracket! I am envious of your perfection.
    And that bolt on the end will be very useful to fit it to the wall when its being stored for the next project.

    ReplyDelete