Friday 10 September 2010

WAS I CONNED?

You know how it is when you see something and you turn a blind eye?  I've been experiencing this for a while now.  Because I have been spending so much time working on the engine and torsion bar link I have become very familiar with the parts.  Some time ago I, whilst working on the engine flange for the MK3 tool, I noticed what I thought was a casting mark.  The sort of flash produced when the mounds don't quite line up.  It was only small and I didn't take much notice of it at first.  As time went by I started looking more closely and discovered what I thought was signs of a repair.  This was the moment when I turned my blind eye.  

I couldn't help thinking about it because if it was in fact a repair it could right off the engine as a viable resale option.  I had hoped to put it on Ebay to recover some of the costs for the rebuild of the other engine.

My worst fears were realised later when the mounting lug fell off!  Oh bugger!!

Broken engine lug
What I had thought a molding line was actually a line of "glue".  I can only guess that it is some sort of "metal repair adhesive".  How could anyone actually think that a stressed part would survive after being glued together? It was a good job that I didn't go ahead with the MK3 tool because it relied on this lug to provide the engine clamp point.

When I bought the scooter Mark seemed a nice guy who had put in a lot of work on the bike with the intention of showing it.  I wouldn't have expected him necessarily to have said anything about the repair but it would have been nice.  Perhaps I'm upset because I miss judged him, my error.  I thought he was a nice guy with high standards.  I've been finding other things that are not quite right, this is just another oneI ask myself, is there a reason why he has never replied to my Emails?  Was I conned?

So what to do now.  I can only press on and count my blessings that I don't actually need this engine.  I just hope that Patrick from Scooter Surgery doesn't find similar things on the unit he is rebuilding for me.  I did see a crankcase for sale on Ebay some time back for £30 odd so it might be possible to do something if I really have to.

Down, but not outyet.

1 comment:

  1. Arrgh! what a bummer BUT deep breath - its not critical at this stage. Dont get down over it. I am sure that it is actually repairable by a competent alloy welder. I am sure there have been worse engine restoration challenges - count yourself lucky that the chap put the broken bit safely back and not in a box of bits!
    Were you conned? No point even thinking about it now - press on and keep documenting your proper restoration and how you overcome the challenges :-)

    ReplyDelete