Tuesday 14 September 2010

THE LAST POST

This is my last post before I go into hospital for my operation and I've managed to reach a milestone.  It's out, the engine that is.  I've managed to remove the engine from the frame.  The target was self imposed but I feel it represents a significant point in the project.  I can now concentrate on all the other bits that are missing so that by the time the rebuilt engine returns I can start a full rebuild.  To this end I have just sent of my "WISH LIST No1" to Maude at Scooter Surgery.  I have so far identified about 40 items that I need to source, ranging from a protective cap to an exhaust system.  As Maude pointed out not all bits are available so she has offered to go through my list and identify the bits they can supply.  Hence why my missing parts list is actually a wish list.   I will produce further lists as I discover other missing bits, hopefully not too many more.

Working space has been a bit limited because I still have John's things stored in the garage.  This has meant negotiating four Scoots (used for moving the car), the TF and finally squeezing past the end of the lift bench to get to the far side of the scooter.  I felt that Torsie's wedding bouquet hanging above the scooter would probably bring me luck.

As I had thought, it was necessary to remove the fuel tank prior to removing the engine.  This proved easy and I guess it's one of the advantages of buying a part finished project, someone else had been there before me.  With the tank out of the way and the bottom engine mounting bolt removed (again this was easier than I had expected considering its location under the bike) it was a question of lifting the engine up and twisting it to the off side and with only minimum paint damage the engine was on the bench.

After all the deliberation over the torsion bar and associated tooling it seemed so simple in the end. An anti-climax?  A bit, but a good feeling that the link was uncoupled and the engine was out.  In one way it marked the beginning of "my Scooter", the point where from now on I feel that I can do things my way and remove any traces of the previous owner.

Engine Space
The frame looks good with no obvious signs of excessive corrosion.  My "half empty glass" says may be there's a lot of filler been used but hopefully we shall never know.  A quick inspection of the torsion bar leaver showed that there is a washer missing which prevents the arm moving back and forth across the frame.  There is also a joint protection sealing ring and two end caps missing.  So what's new?




 
Frame Serial Number
With the engine removed the Scooter looked strangely empty but it does allow easy access to the frame number.  I had tried previously to photograph it for my records but it had proved difficult.  It's situated on the offside of the rear vertical tube  Although I had read this before it was good to finally have photographic evidence that the number ties up with the log book.  This is the only justification of spending all the money on rebuilding the original engine.  (apart from the fact that the other one has a broken engine mounting lug)

Engine Serial Number
 With the damaged engine out I took a series of pictures just to record what it was.  I will ask Patrick if he can recognise the model.  It looks like an LD 125 but I have no idea of the date.











These shows the broken lug and damaged casting to the flywheel cowling mount.  Perhaps they were done at the same time removing the link pin.



This is the kick start and gear change leaver.  Patrick had seen pictures of this and said he was confused by the configuration.  It would be just my luck it it was a rare example and it had a damaged lug.
I actually not worried because I have no intention of using it and it it sells for a pint of beer it will be the least of my worries.






So here I am waiting for my operation and having no real idea of when I will be able to get back to the project.  It will give me time to reflect on how to play the next phase.  I have started to think that I may strip everything down to make any alterations necessary.  I have noticed a number of thin steel clips that are welded to the frame that have broken.  These would be good to replace as they are involved in securing such things as the rubber seal that protects the side panels where they meet the frame.  If I'm to do this I think I will have to first build up the complete scooter to ensure that I miss nothing and that I have all the bits available for assembly post painting.  I will need time to think about just how far I go.  Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment