Wednesday 15 June 2011

LINK - TORSION BAR LEAVER

This is the link I traumatised over when I removed the engine.  The manuals warned of dire consequences if the pin was removed without unloading the pressure created by the torsion bar and protecting the needle roller bearings during dis-assembly.  After a lot of effort and worry I discovered that my link had a plain bearing at the engine end.



Prior to reassembly I wanted to service the link and the grease ways.  Based on my previous experience with the link I removed the circlip and pushed the pin out.  I was lucky.  To my surprise this bearing was fitted with needle roller bearings.  Fortunately there was sufficient grease to retain them so I wasn't having to get on my hands and knees to look for the missing rollers.





Inspection of the pin for torsion bar arm end showed that there were ware marks where the needle rollers had been in contact.  I suspect that maintenance had been neglected allowing the needle rollers to remain stationary.  The design is a bit strange really because there is so little movement there is bound to be point contact between the needles and the pin.  In my opinion a lubricated plain bearing would have been a better solution.

After re greasing and checking that it was actually possible to get grease through the assembly the pin and circlip were refitted.

Now it's time for the engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment