Friday 10 June 2011

A SURPRISE PUDDLE

When I collected my engine from Scooter Surgery I didn't have time to work with it.  I placed it in the garage and forgot about it until the other day when Tim and I were going to look at the kick start problem.




I had stood the engine on a piece of hard foam packing in the upright position where it had remained undisturbed.  To my surprise when I moved the engine there was a pool of oil in the indentation made by the engine.













At first I thought it must have come from the drain plug which may not have been tightened fully.  Further investigation showed it to be coming from around the kick start shaft and running down the casing.  This is not good news!  Having just spent a great deal of money on the rebuild I had expected the engine to be leak free at least when cold and not running.
I phoned Patrick to explain the situation.  He said that they all leak this way even his does.  I cant believe it as a leak of this magnitude would soon empty the gearbox with disastrous results.  According to Patrick the seal between the gearbox and the kick start housing is a simple "O"seal and it's not up to the job.  Patrick has considered having the casting machined to accept a proper lip seal but has never got round to it.  He suggests that things might be improved by fitting a new "O" ring and applying silicon gasket seal to the outside of the assembly.  Really?
I have to say I'm very disappointed and feel let down having never been warned that such a significant leak was a possibility.  I can't remember my original scooter having this problem.

I have been thinking what I should do.  I've discounted having a punch up with Patrick as he's been paid and he can walk away from the problem.  I think I will continue to fit the engine so that I can ensure that I have all the bits I need whilst researching the problem with other owners.  It may mean that I have to replace the oil seal but that can wait for now and  I'll just keep a tin under the engine to catch the drips.

I've just had a look at the exploded drawing for the gearbox/kick start mechanism and I can't find anything that looks like an oil seal.  There must be one but I can't see it so I don't know what I would replace even if I was prepared to venture into the unit.  Strange.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I have been following your blog for over twelve months. My hart goes out to you with regards to June.

    Did I read correct when you said £2872.28 (including VAT). for the engine? MAD, MAD just MAD
    and an oil leak for free.

    I fell out with Patch, I ordered a pile of items from his web page. I gave Mage (I think) my CC details only to find the bill was double, yes double.
    the reply was there prices were out of date on the web site they have not touched it in 3 years and I should not expect them to keep it up to date as it cost money.

    Any way keep up the good work.

    have a look at mine billy192.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete