Tuesday 10 January 2012

REMOVING THE KICK START ASSEMBLY

I had been told that the kick start assembly could be removed as one unit by removing the  securing bolts for the cover and then pulling the cover away from the gear box casing.  Sounds simple enough, it just a case of how hard to pull.





Firstly there are five M6 bolts that secure the assembly,     1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.  1 and 4 are nuts on studs.  Note the cable support clip under nut at position 1

The triangular cover plate at the top of the cover is still retained by the two M5 bolts, 6 and 7







When I tried to pull the assembly from the gear box case I experienced significant resistance.  Not really knowing what to expect I removed bolts 6 and 7 and nut 8 in the hope that this would help.  It didn't, and the cover plate still refused to move.  

I was loathed to try and  force something between the cover and the casing for fear of damaging the gasket or the gasket surface.  

The removal of bolts 6 and 7 allowed the triangular cover to be removed.  By inserting two M5 blots into the threaded holes I had something I hoped would give me something to purchase on.  By "careful" use of a couple of blocks of wood resting on the casing and a couple of leavers I was able to use the bolt heads to slowly pry the cover away from the casing without damaging the gasket.  (Note there were two gaskets in my case and I have subsequently read that sufficient gaskets are added to ensure correct meshing of the kick start bevel gear).

Once the gaskets have been released the only resistance is due to the "O" seal around the bevel gear ratchet mounting.  

Looking at the condition of the seal I have hopes that this damaged seal is the cause of my leak.  I don't think this seal is under oil and only has to withstand oil splashed from the gears.  Hopefully a new seal will solve my problem.  If the seal works then the only other way oil could get to the kick start shaft is via the bevel gear shaft.




This is the outside cover with the triangular cover removed and showing the bevel drive gear and ratchet.

Note that I have removed the M5 nut 8.  Not a good idea and not necessary once you understand what it does.  My excuse is that I didn't and I was finding the cover difficult to move. Next time I will know.








 
This is the Kick Start return spring and quadrant.  The removal of the M5 nut from position 8 enabled the spring retaining pillar (which is fixed to the return spring outer end mounting) to move round until it was stopped by the quadrant.  
It would have been much simpler to remove the return spring one and a half turns pre load had I left the spring retaining pillar in the front cover.  Too late now.  The service manual implies that you just remove the M4 nut that secures the return spring outer end mount to the pillar and let it fly!
Oh yes? Not for me thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment