Sunday 18 July 2010

WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAN?

My only justification for considering having the engine rebuilt, at considerable cost, is that some of the cost will be recouped when I come to sell the scooter.  Having the frame and engine numbers tie up with the log book provides authenticity and therefore enables me to command a higher price.  I don't expect to recover it all but hopefully it will attract more bidders and then you never know your luck.

One of the things that attracted me to this scooter was that it had its original brown log book.  I can remember when I bought my first car and how pleased I was when I was handed the "log book".  Some how that made the car mine more than having the care itself.  I don't know why Mark fitted an unrelated engine in the frame when he had the original.  Perhaps he had the spare engine and didn't want the expense of the rebuild.
 
 
The log book shows  

It shows the model is an LDB 
(by which I assume it's a series 2)


frame number to be 194077  


the engine number 203897.

 
The registration date is 5th October 1956 


These facts should tie up with the Lambretta register.  I look forward to receiving my Lambretta Club membership so I can get them confirmed.  In the mean time I have referred to the Lambretta Bible.  Unfortunately things are not as simple as I had hoped.  

The "bible" shows the following information :-

LD 150 (Mk 2)
1954:  105,001 - 105,442
1955:  105,443 - 157,721
1956:  157,722 - 158,56


LD 150 (Mk3)
1957:  200,001 - 281,871
1958:  281,872 - 312,954


Did you spot the absence of 194077?  
I'm assuming that since 1957 started with  200 at the beginning of the Mk3 series, 194 would have been at the end of the Mk2 series.  This of course may not be the case so I shall just have to wait until I can get it confirmed by LCGB.


At least I have confirmed that the frame and engine numbers are as shown on the log book.

Having re read this blog I'm a bit concerned that I've started to become a bit of a nerd. (definition:-  foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious. OR  an intelligent, single-minded expert in a particular technical discipline or profession. Your choice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment